Thursday, March 22, 2018

traveling as a 29+1

I made my way to The Windy City this morning, and have much work to do so this should be short. This is my third time traveling alone in 29.95 years. All three times have been for this same work conference. Talk about taking a job that challenges you. Putting me in an airport without a chaperone - I may never find my way to the bathroom, let alone my destination. Challenge enough. Common sense leaves me...I anxiously panic at the crowds, signs, thought of gate changes. It’s like I all of a sudden can’t read or speak English. Really. As I sit here, eating microwaved frozen chicken fingers passed off as Chili’s chicken crispers, I realize that there are things I now appreciate the closer I approach 29+1 that I could never appreciate before.

1. Taking my time. Whaaaat? First time flying alone, I was in such a rush to make it look like I knew exactly what I was doing. It made my airport anxiety worse, made airport security angry, and probably delayed a lot of helpful samaritans cleaning up my mess of misdirection. It got me lost. It actually caused me to almost miss a connecting flight if it hadn’t been delayed on its own, and caused a kind lady on my first flight to miss her connecting flight waiting on me.

2. Signs are there to READ. Why did I think they were there? As if taking the time to read them was “uncool” or something. Pick me last for dodgeball then, because I’m reading them three times today.

3. Eating alone. Oh the quiet in the middle of this loud airport restaurant. It’s glorious. And I’m blogging...refer to #1. I have no anxiety over the 15 other people in line who would love my seat. I’m Driving Miss Daisy-ing this lunch for One. This hour is MINE.

4. Hospitality really is a southern thing. Cherish its specialness and the accent. It makes us southern gals unique. I’ve been thanked countless times in the past three hours for simple acts of what I just consider respect. That doesn’t exist everywhere. And I don’t consider myself an overly friendly person.

5. Engaging strangers doesn’t mean you will get murdered, every time. Of course, use your better judgement when befriending a stranger, but it’s okay to delight in some casual conversation...especially when you eat alone. I hate engaging in small talk. I literally cringe at the thought of having nothing to say. Awkward silence is one of my biggest panic attack triggers. Use caution, but it’s okay to sacrifice your comfort for some friendly conversation. Also, you never know where the power of networking can take you. As long as you’re smart and know how to throat punch your way out of a bad situation.

6. A good book > social media. No explanation is necessary. I just lost myself for a two hour plane ride...and it was incredible.

7. There are still good people. Similar to #5. I assume the worst, at all times. I assume the man next to me is the leader of a sex traffic ring, that the waitress hates me, that everyone’s judging my outfit. News flash AK, no one cares. Those are self-consumed thoughts. Some people really just like small talk and are just nice people. Also, home slice gave me some gum when my ears were popping. Hopefully it wasn’t threaded with anthrax. See? I have a problem.

I’m sure I will learn more this weekend as Nick and I take on this incredible, ABSURDLY cold city. I’m excited for this conference, the things I will learn, the relationships I will develop/strengthen, and the sites my hubs and I will see as we take a few days for ourselves. Life as a 29+1 may not be as dreadful as I imagine. I am already finding that I like this me better than who I was coming into my 19+1s. Oh here comes my bill for these frozen Walmart fingers. Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment