Sunday, February 18, 2018

baby behr: up, up, and away shower

Yesterday we hosted a baby shower for one of my dearest friends. Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love to throw a party! Especially for people I love.

First, about this girl. Lauren and I are both from Greenwood. Knew each other in middle school, went to high school together, and had the same friends. While I wouldn’t say we were super close, we were friends and I have several memories of us hanging out or getting into typical teenage trouble. Her husband, Kyle, and I have been friends since the 2nd grade. We lived in the same neighborhood for several years, and always seemed to end up dating friends so we double dated a lot. 

We all went to different colleges, and were reunited when a mutual friend got married. Lauren and I, after not seeing each other in about 4 years, went on said friend’s bachelorette party,  and I remember thinking [and probably saying], “where have you been all my life?” Nick met Kyle for the first time at the wedding, and they’ve been friends ever since. For the past 8ish years now (wow), we have walked alongside each other in everything. We are framily. Dinners, holidays, concerts, vacations, lazy nights in our PJs, bachelorette parties, weddings, baby showers, deliveries, recoveries,  moves, new jobs. 

Lauren and I are pretty much the same person...though she is a much quieter and sweeter version of that person than I am. She is always thinking of others, always. She always stops everything to help everyone. We pick on her at work because she talks to everyone, she knows everyone...not out of obligation, but because she genuinely wants to know about their life. She is always kind...even when I try to tell her she has “the right to mean” sometimes. I’ve seen her upset, angry, and offended, but not once have I witnessed her act unkind as a result of those emotions. I’m wondering if she even has the capability of being a jerk. I admire her weird kindness, and aspire to give grace as freely as she does. 

She doesn’t tell me what I want to hear, but she pushes me to look beyond myself. This is one of 134,500 reasons I'm thankful for her. She brings so much perspective to our friendship, and without her, God help me. We have  acquired something almost like twin telepathy... no words needed 85% of the time. We just know. The same absurd things make us laugh and cry.

I am so grateful for this decade that is about to end for me and excited about the one to come. This decade, post-college, has been so refreshing. I’ve learned the value in quality over quantity of good, solid, fruitful friendships. Fruitful. I love that word. That is what our friendship is, in a nutshell. We rejoice together, we mourn together, we vent, we offer perspective, we pray for each other, we call it like it is. We have fun, we [belly] laugh, we support each other, we work together, we share books, stories, fears, dreams, clothes, recipes, grief, joy. She cares. She is genuine. She loves...well. Very well. She is a chosen Aunt to my daughter and she loves Reaves like her own. Any mama knows why this makes me ugly cry. She is the type of friend people want, and everyone NEEDS. I like to think we balance each other well, but I often wonder how could I possibly bring anything to the table when she’s just that awesome by herself. I am thankful for who I am now, post-college, because of my Framily, because of friends like her. 

In the past two years our Framily has grown [tis the season for BABIES]. What an amazing season we’re in. It’s one thing to grow up with people, but to begin raising your children together, and walk through the craziness of parenting together...there are no words. Well sometimes there are words. “Help” is one that comes to mind, and a few choice others I won’t mention. Lauren has always showered us with love. When I had Reaves, when Jessica had Larkin. She visited, she spoiled, she decorated, she brought food [food = LIFE to a new parent]. I remember wanting nothing more than a large cheese dip from Moe’s and a cold Coke after I delivered Reaves [#gestationaldiabetesprobs]. Sure enough, in pop Lauren and Kyle not 6 hours later... Moe’s cheese dip and a Coke. I seriously think I drank it straight from the cup. 

So now it’s our turn. It’s time for us to shower and love on her. We are so incredibly excited to see our dear friends welcome their baby into the world in two months. I can’t wait to love on this sweet child and to walk alongside Lauren and Kyle in this next chapter. Yesterday's shower was so fun. Lauren and Kyle aren't finding out Baby Behr’s Gender, so we did our best to keep it neutral. But hey, #girlmomprobs. 

Here’s to you, Behrendt Family. We love you so so much.






I mean..who looks like this pregnant? Seriously...





Missing our other hostess, Jessica! She got the flu and had to stay home. We missed you, J!





No comments:

Post a Comment